The Rector, Yaba College of Technology (Yabatech), Dr Margaret Ladipo, on Wednesday, visited 13 students of the institution on admission at the College Medical Centre and the Military Hospital, Yaba.
The students were admitted following the fire accident in one of the college hostels in the early hours of the day.
Mr Charles Oni, the spokesperson of the college, said in a statement in Lagos that the rector prayed for the students and gave them monetary gifts, among others.
Oni said that the rector reassured the students that the management was with them and would always be by their side in ensuring they return to their studies before the weekend.
According to the statement, there were moves as at press time to evacuate students from the Bakassi hostel to allow for structural testing of the entire building following the accident.
The spokesperson said that Ladipo urged parents not to panic as their children were in safe hands, thanking God that no life was lost to the fire.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the management has suspended all academic activities between Wednesday and Friday following the incident.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that fire broke out at a wing of the top floor of the Bakassi female hostel in the school. It was gathered that the inferno started at about 5.20 a.m. when the school generator was switched on after a power outage.
NAN gathered that three students sustained injuries as a result of commotion that ensued when the inferno started. The injured students were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yaba and the General Hospital, Randle Avenue, Surulere. Dr Ismail Badmus, the Head of Department of the Fire Service in the school, confirmed the incident. He told NAN that no life was lost, but that some students were injured and taken to government hospitals for treatment.
“The incident happened at Bakassi Female hostel which is a two-wing two-storey building. It was the top floor of one of the two wings of the hostel”.
There was no life lost, but there were some injuries.